2 Old Chickens and 4 Ducks Named Bob

Angie : We have been raising chickens for the last 6 or 7 years. All of our chickens from our first year are gone. But we still have 2 chickens from our second year. These 2 chickens were 2 of 3 survivors of the Great Massacre. We lost over 30 chickens to some foxes in 1 weekend. Two of my roosters survived. I thought that was all I was left with. And then out of the weeds comes a Barred Rock hen with several baby chicks trailing behind her! She had been brooding eggs so she wasn’t even present when those foxes raided our hen house.

Today, she still lays eggs on occasion. They are a beautiful light brown egg with a few speckles. In fact, this is the same hen that laid the very first egg we ever got. She will always have a home here with us no matter how old and unproductive she gets! Our other old chicken is a big Australorp rooster named Kevin. He is the king of the hen house and just about the sweetest rooster there is and the one that will cause a lot of broken hearts when he is no longer with us. We all just love his sweet, loving temperament.

I have been wanting to tell you that we were given 4 ducks by our neighbors. At one point this summer, we lost all of our ducks. So being gifted with 3 hens and a drake is marvelous! We have not named them yet. They all came named Bob. I think we will be a little more original than that. There are 2 Pekin hens and a pair of Rouens.

These ducks are not used to free-ranging. We have started leaving their pen door open. Slowly they are starting to venture out into the world. It has been odd not to have ducks foraging in the yard. I look forward to the day when they venture that far out of the barn!

2017-10-08T17:45:36+00:00

7 Comments

1. Jamie Ritter October 8, 2017 at 9:17 pm

How sweet! We also let our “retirees” enjoy their golden years doing whatever they want Right now we have 39 girls and four boys – Eric, Prince, Corey and Harley. Most of the girls just sit around and gossip but this summer was a good one for babies so perhaps we’re back to getting a dozen eggs or so a day. Good luck with your feathered family!

Bart and Jamie Ritter, White Cloud, Michigan USA

2. Mary Mal, Sedona, AZ October 9, 2017 at 2:29 am

That was a sad and happy story! I really like that you’re keeping the hens into retirement! That’s my plan as well. I have 3 bantie hens that are 2 years old… My first chickens ever! Chicken Little, Blackie & Chicklet. No rooster (they are banned where I live) sadly.

3. Marlene October 9, 2017 at 1:56 pm

It was heart warming to read about your loving relationship with your fowl friends. With age discrimination being a universal practice (especially with humans), it is so nice to know your relationship with your chickens is not contingent on. egg production. God Bless you.

4. Mary October 9, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Our older hens are always welcome for as long as they live….eggs or no eggs, we love the rich compost they produce which fertilizes and mulches our veggie garden.

5. peggy October 12, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Good to know that I am not the only sentimental poultry person out here. Some of my girls are 4 or 5 years old, no eggs but so much fun to watch when they are loose in the yard.

6. Felicia N. Trujillo, ND October 13, 2017 at 6:20 am

Great to hear there are Others Who Keep their Retired Chickens! Mine have always had organic everything and answer to their names.

I have Aracauna Hecate who is 9 years old and the Auntie to Ginger, her 7 year-old nephew, a Gold-Laced Wyandotte. I am so used to their being in my life, wandering slowly around looking grand that I will surely miss them when they pass! They’ve been long retired but last Spring Hecate suddenly laid about 25 perfect eggs in about ten days. I was impressed. Am wondering if one passes, if the other will have to live inside with me!

7. Susan October 15, 2017 at 2:22 am

I’ve got a few old ladies too. One of the old girls, Gimp managed to raise 3 chicks all are beautiful kids, they were hatched in June and are still with her. Both of my Cuckoos had kids as well. Shorty successfully hatched 2 and adopted another. I lost 2 to a fox, she immediately started setting again, day 32 nothing happened so I bought her 3 kids, she was one happy mama after I traded chicks for rotten eggs. That little Cuckoo Maran is the best mom I’ve ever had.
    I cant imagine life without chicken s and dogs.