George and his Girls

Alice: I have had chickens for the last 5 yrs, but grew up with chickens and animals at home. I have 12 chickens and 3 ducks. They are a brilliant way to help combat depression and generally make you laugh, with their antics and silliness. I love all my girls and my boy George, so called when he was younger all the girls used to run away from him! My children think that my girls get more spoiled than them.

This year I have had an increasing problem with rats pinching my chook’s food and we had a few bites to legs to have to deal with. I recently found this new chicken feeder called the Roamwild PestOff Chicken Feeder Kit – since using these feeders (I have 3!) not only have I not had rats, my birds are happier.

We don’t need to put traps or poison down which is great considering I live in an area with lots of cats and wouldn’t want any of them getting ill or worse! and my husband is very grateful he doesn’t have to sit up on rat patrol anymore! If it is raining the chicken feeder keeps it nice and dry and I have found that I waste so much less food. Also the 3 ducks can use them just as easily too. I hope you enjoy my pictures of my chooks, I have told them all about why I was taking their pictures, and they clucked in response! Alice, Maidstone, Kent, UK

2017-10-08T17:45:36+00:00

6 Comments

1. pauline mcdonald October 8, 2017 at 6:41 pm

How does it work as it seems very high off the ground

2. Bernice October 8, 2017 at 10:59 pm
  3. Roger Iles October 9, 2017 at 1:39 am

Hi Alice check out the chicken spinner its a great behavioral enrichment feeder!

4. Connie Castania October 9, 2017 at 2:25 am

Pauline, I was wondering the same thing. My girls waste so much food.

5. Mary, Sedona,AZ October 9, 2017 at 2:48 am

I had a rat problem and I did not want to fix traps and no poison either! I found a cutting edge rat trap that works on batteries. I put the peanut butter bait on the inside back wall of the trap and placed it at night when my hens were sleeping. The rat enters the trap and wham it’s electrocuted … Fast and painless. I caught 3 rats within a half hour! No more rat problems!

6. Mary October 10, 2017 at 11:59 pm

After years of wasting a lot of food, and a constant rat problem, I put a small galvanized can in the coop and every night when I close the coop door, I drop the chicken feeder in the can, put the lid on…no more rats. Works like a charm. 😀